Risk Management Services Self Insurance Program

Liability and Vehicle Insurance

There is a common belief that WSU has insurance for everything. This is not accurate. In many instances of loss, the University is either “self-insured” or “non-insured.” In the case of non- insurance, WSU departments bear the cost of any loss out of their own budget. There are two areas in which WSU is insured through formal self-insurance programs:

Self-Insurance Liability Program (SILP)

WSU’s liability for the negligent acts of its employees, officers, and official volunteers is covered through the State of Washington Self -Insurance Liability Program (RCW 4.92 et. Seq.) administered by the State in Olympia. The coverage only applies when non-University employees (or their property) are injured/damaged by the negligence of a WSU employee, officer, or official volunteer. It does not provide coverage for other SILP insured State entities. In order for the coverage to apply, the employee, officer, or official volunteer must have been acting in good faith on behalf of WSU and within the scope of the duties assigned to the individual by WSU at the time the loss occurs. WSU pays a substantial premium for this policy based on a five-year claim history. Examples of coverage include:

  • General Liability, including Auto Liability Covers injury or damage to a person who is not employed by the University or to non-WSU property. The injury or damage must be caused by the negligence of WSU, its employees, officers,  or official volunteers.
  • Professional Malpractice for faculty, staff, volunteers, and students performing clinical practice on-campus. (Note: Students performing clinical practice off campus are not covered, but may purchase their own separate professional liability student insurance.)

The SILP coverage:

  • Pays tort-claim judgments and settlements.
  • Defends and indemnifies employees, officers, and official volunteers when sued personally for negligence (so long as acting in good faith in the performance of their WSU duties)
  • Coverage does not include:
    • marine hull and vessel operations
    • aircraft liability
    • employee fidelity
    • student sponsored events
    • damage to state owned facilities and property
    • injuries covered by worker’s compensation or similar policies
    • injuries/damages on foreign soil

Please Note: For liability issues not covered by the Self-Insurance Liability Program, commercial insurance may be available for purchase by Departments through the State Risk Management Office. In order to purchase such insurance, the Department must submit a written request to the WSU Office of Risk Management Services.

Vehicle Loss Reserve Fund

WSU maintains a self-insurance fund referred to as the Vehicle Loss Reserve Fund. This fund covers property damage to WSU owned vehicles that are enrolled in the program. WSU departments that enroll their vehicles in the program are assessed an annual premium per vehicle that is collected in a central fund. This fund is then used to pay damage claims to enrolled vehicles. This fund covers damage that would normally be covered by a collision and comprehensive insurance policy. It does not cover intentional damage to vehicles or for damage resulting from maintenance or neglect issues. The Office of Risk Management Services is responsible for adjusting these claims, e.g. receiving notification of damage, collecting estimates for repair, coordinating repair, paying for the repair, and seeking recovery from third parties that may have caused the damage. For more information on this fund or to process a claim, please call 335-6893 or 335-3682.

Reporting a Vehicle Accident

Property damage claims for damage to WSU owned vehicles are made to the Office of Risk Management Services per WSU Safety Policies and Procedures Manual 7.20, Reporting Motor Vehicle Accident, using a Standard Form 137, Vehicle Collision Report Form. This form is to be filled out on line, with a PDF of the report forwarded to the supervisor, who will review and forward the report, via email, to riskmanagement.wsu.edu.

If law enforcement does not respond to the accident, drivers are required by law to complete and file the Washington State Patrol Collision report form 161. At the link, search for Citizen Report and complete the form.